Best Microphone For YouTube Videos?
That’s a pretty common question, so in the video below I’m gonna test 3 different microphones: The Rode Smartlav+ which is a lavalier and 2 shotgun mics: the HTDZ-HT81 shotgun microphone and the Rode VideoMic Pro Rycote. I’m also gonna talk about prices and make some audio tests, so If you’re interested, hit the play button.
In my opinion, for choosing the best microphone for YouTube videos depends on how far will you stay from the camera when recording, but it also depends on your budget.
The RODE Smartlav+ Lavalier Microphone
This is a very good omni directional mic and it will pick up sounds from all around it’s capsule. It could be a problem if your room has a lot of reverb because the sound is bouncing from the walls, but it’s still a good choice compairing it to the internal microphone of the DSLR.
- The biggest advantage of using the RODE Smartlav+ is that you can move anywhere in the frame, you can be close or far to the camera and the sound will be very good because you are constantly wearing the microphone on your shirt.
- It’s really small and portable, you can just put in your pocket and you’re good to go.
- The Smartlav+ can be plugged directly into your iPhone. Rode has a dedicated iOS recording app called Rode Rec. You can also record into an external recorder like the Zoom H1, but you will need the Rode SC3 adapter for this move. Links in the description.
- You don’t need a battery for this mic. You simply connect it to your recorder or phone and you can use it right away.
- The price of this microphone is $79 on Amazon which is a decent price if you ask me.
- RODE didn’t released the app for Android.
The HTDZ-HT81 Shotgun Microphone
his is a cheap microphone from China, you can find it on Ebay at around $30 or so and it’s a shotgun microphone. This means it will pick up sounds from a very narrow field, just in front of it and it will reject a lot of sounds comming from the sides and from the back.
This mic is awesome in environments that create echo or reverberations, because you can place it close to your mouth, just outside the frame so the people don’t see it when you are recording.
- It’s easy to use
- The sound is good for the price of this mic and if you are just starting out on YouTube it could be the best microphone for YouTube!
- The microphone comes with a wind foam too.
- The battery lasts for a long time
- First of all, it’s quite big. It measures about 14 inches or 36 centimeters sooo… you can’t just put it in your pocket and leave.
- The XLR cable which comes with it? It’s 8 meters long, but it’s not really the best one.
- It doesn’t have a battery indicator, so make sure you turn it off when you are done recording if you don’t want to run out of your battery.
- The microphone has some hissing sound but you can get rid of it in post production.
The Rode Videomic Pro Rycote Shotgun Microphone
This mic is very popular, vloggers are using this mic most of the time because it’s easy to handle and it’s a small shotgun mic in my oppinion. One thing to mention is that the microphone’s cable is a bit short, so you’ll have to buy an extension cable like the Rode VC1 for example if you want to use this mic boomed on a stand.
You have an LED indicator which confirms you when the mic is on. You also have a low cut filter to reduce some other sounds like cars, fans or other annoying low frequency sounds. And it also has a +20 db option which allows you to sound even better because it will pick up your voice very nicely by rejecting most of the background noise from left and right.
The Rode Video Mic Pro is not cheap but also not too expensive comparing it to other high end shotgun mics. If you have the money, I definitely recommend it to you. At this moment it’s $229 on Amazon. You’ll find all the links to the microphones down in the description so make sure you check them out.
- It’s a well built microphone
- The sound is very good
- It comes with a wind foam
- You can easily plug it into your camera
- It has no hissing sound
- The battery lasts for a long time
Replacing the battery is such a pain. You have to open this little door and then you have to struggle a bit after you inserted the new battery to put that plastic door back in its place again. It’s not a major problem but i think this can be improved in time.
Please remember that recording quality sound for your videos is really important. I hope that the video below will help you. Feel free to share it with people interested in audio and content creation.